Originally founded in 2001 as the first student-run venture fund in the nation, and endowed by pioneering impact investor Jim Sorenson in 2013, the Sorenson Impact Institute has grown to become a leading multi-disciplinary impact institute housed at the University of Utah David Eccles School of Business. Unique to the impact space, the Institute offers a wide-spectrum of services and expertise to help its partners across multiple sectors solve complex social and environmental challenges around the world.
- University Venture Fund:
- First student-run Venture in the Nation.
- UVF is the largest student-run venture fund in the nation.
- “If this were around while I was in school, I’d still be in school!”
- – Warren Buffet
- Endowed by Impact Investing Pioneer Jim Sorenson
- Program Expanded to Sorenson Impact Center.
- Awarded First White House Social Innovation Fund.
- Hosts first Winter Innovation Summit
- Data Science Team launched
- Field Building Team launched
- Original content series “The Impact Revolution” launched.
- A first-of-its-kind partnership with Forbes to showcase social impact solutions.
- Launch of $8.1MM University Venture Fund: Impact Investing.
- Completed first White House Social Innovation Fund Grant
- Launch of National Collaboration for infants and toddlers, funded by JB and MK Pritzker Foundation
- Launch of MAPS Project with Funding Provided by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- 900+ Winter Innovation Summit Attendees
- Continuation of MAPS with funding provided by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Awarded two federal grants from Economic Development Administration
- Geoff Davis joins as CEO
- The Sorenson Impact Center becomes the Sorenson Impact Institute
- The Impact & Prosperity Epicenter at the University of Utah, a multidisciplinary hub for social impact and living/learning community for students, will be completed
- Learn more about the Epicenter