Apply for open positions
Assess the current impact measurement process rooted in performance to date. Clarify theory of change and define associated key performance indicators.
Operations & Student Engagement Associate
The Sorenson Impact Institute’s Impact Investing team seeks an energetic, independent, and detail-oriented Operations and Student Engagement Associate to help design and manage the evolution of our world-class student internship program. The Impact Investing team runs an innovative student training program where students from diverse backgrounds have the opportunity to learn about the venture capital industry by identifying and investing in promising early-stage companies. The Associate will have the opportunity to work on a small team alongside investing professionals with deep experience in the venture capital and impact investing industries.
The Operations and Student Engagement Associate will provide operational support across the Impact Investing program, managing critical student program functions such as recruitment, assistance with student training program design and facilitation, engagement and support of active student interns (approximately 25-30 at any given time), event planning, alumni engagement, and student job placement support. The Associate will also support the Impact Investing professional staff with operational processes and program implementation related to managing an investment fund and investment activities. In addition to providing overall operational support to our program, we are seeking a teammate with the desire to envision, shape and implement our alumni engagement strategy, to develop a career exposure and pathing support function for our students, and to assist with the expansion of our program to partner campuses. The Associate will also serve as the liaison between the Impact Investing team and its partners within the Sorenson Impact Institute and the University of Utah, and will contribute to fostering and facilitating collaboration between the Impact Investing program and the other branches of the Sorenson Impact Institute. The Associate must possess excellent organizational skills and be able to take initiative and advance projects independently with minimal supervision.
The Sorenson Impact Center strongly encourages diverse applicants including those who self-identify as Black, Native or Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQIA+, non-binary, living with disabilities, neurodivergent, speak English as a second language and others from overlooked/underestimated communities.
- Student Program Operations: Operational management of all elements of the student intern experience, including:
- Program Brand-Building and Student Recruitment
- Initiate and maintain relationships with various stakeholders on and off the University campus for the purpose of student recruitment, with a focus on increasing participation of students from a wide-range of backgrounds
- Oversee the creation and distribution of informational materials related to our program
- Present to students and industry groups to share the value of our program
- Student Intern Hiring & Professional Development Processes
- Efficiently manage all elements of the student hiring process, including screening applications, coordinating interviews and practical work, and overseeing onboarding and off-boarding of student interns
- Implement student performance and professional development processes, including structuring and facilitating performance review framework and promotion processes
- Contribute to training program design and implementation, managing logistical arrangements for training sessions, delivery of pre-work materials to students, communication with students regarding expectations and general coordination of training program needs
- Student Engagement & Experience
- Actively engage with and provide support to students in the Impact Investing program through direct relationship building, connecting students to resources, and designing and organizing student engagement opportunities
- Manage all Impact Investing program events, including working with other investment funds and student programs to create and execute coordinated events, and working with Institute partners regarding broader organization events
- Manage student awards and incentive programs
- Program Brand-Building and Student Recruitment
- Launch Student Career Pathing & Support Program
- Contribute to vision for and building of student career pathing and support program, with the goal of providing Impact Investing program students with opportunities to learn about career paths and connect to possible employers
- Liaise with University career center regarding employment opportunities, career guidance, and leveraging University resources to support our students
- Cultivate relationships with potential employer partners interested in contributing to our program through speaking engagements, mentoring, and employment opportunity access
- Launch Alumni Engagement Program
- Develop system to track professional paths and achievements of all program alumni, and help develop and coordinate annual report on alumni outcomes
- Develop alumni engagement program to connect alumni to our current students and to each other for career exposure and professional development
- Plan and execute events for alumni to foster community and engagement with our program
- Investment & General Program Operations Support
- Assist the Impact Investing team with operational needs related to fund investing and fund management, including coordinating communications with company founders, current and potential fund investors, co-investors, and other partners and stakeholders
- Assist Impact Investing team with partner reporting requirements and metric tracking
- Other tasks as needed by the Impact Investing team
Bachelor’s degree in a related field plus two years of related experience or equivalency (one year of education can be substituted for two years of related work experience). Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills also required.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Strong preference for direct experience supporting operations of a team in a fast-paced, demanding environment. Moderate preference for experience working with university students or supporting an investment team.